History Of The Park

Twilight Park Historic District, a cottage community in the hamlet of Haines Falls, New York, was constructed in 1887  to take advantage of the recreational opportunities available in the Catskill Mountains. The Twilight Club of New York was founded in 1883 by an eclectic group including businessmen, governors, authors, clergymen, artists, clerks, newsmen, and labor unionists. Representing the club, Charles Wingate, a civil/sanitary engineer and journalist, purchased the sheep pasture that would become Twilight Park. Twilight Park offered members music, reading, golf, tennis, and mountain walk.

The Twilight Park Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on June 27 2007.